Pforzheim University – Institute for Precious and Technology Metals (Institut für strategische Technologie- und Edelmetalle, STI)
- The STI is active in material development, characterisation and analysis of precision components and equipped with a state-of-the-art metallographical lab, including SEM, XRD, optical microscopy, and mechanical testing equipment.
- A newly equipped lab for materials hydrogen processing is perfectly equipped for development and investigation of permanent magnets with a staff having 30+ years’ experience in NdFeB-type materials.
- The third area of competence is a novel lab for additive manufacturing of high precision metal parts in stainless steel, titanium and other technology metals. It deals with the novel indirect printing technologies material extrusion ME (sometimes known as FDM) and Vat-Polymerisation (VP), also known as stereolithography. Both processes were developed in the H2020 project REProMag (2015-2017).
As a test laboratory accredited according to DIN EN ISO/IEC 17025, the STI is specialised in failure analyses and the compilation of expert reports. For this purpose, the STI has many laboratory facilities for destructive/non-destructive material testing and failure analysis.
Fast processing of the customer orders with minimum waiting times is top priority, with a strong focus on precise and standard-compliant execution of the customer orders.
Additionally, the STI develops precision engineering processes and devices for the automation of production steps and materials relevant to the local precision and jewellery industry.
- Digital, high-resolution field emission low-vacuum scanning electron microscope, also for non-conductive materials:
- Energy dispersive X-ray analysis for elements from atomic number 4 (beryllium);
- Magnification: 10-100,000x;
Suitable for the examination of:
- Surfaces/fractured surfaces;
- Layer structure;
- Inclusions; and
- Quantitative and qualitative composition also in the micro range.
Climate chambers, tensile and hardness testing (down to HV 0,025) complete our portfolio. The development of tailored tests and the building of test equipment are available on request.